Thursday, September 12, 2013

{the healing powers of honey}

I decided I wanted to share something a little different today. Back in May 2009 I wrecked on my bike. I was trying to avoid hitting a big rock and when I swerved around it I almost hit my son, who was riding next to me, so I swerved again and hit the curb just right and wrecked. I got this nasty scrape on the top of my ankle (along with other injuries) and this is what it looked like after 2 days (pic above). It was starting to get infected. If you look carefully you can see th the redness around the scrape was spreading out. I showed this to a friend of mine and she told me to put honey on a piece of gauze, let it soak in and loosely tape it over the scrape, making sure not to cover it with a sock or anything else. She said the honey needs air to help it heal. 
This 2nd picture is what it looked like after only 2 days with the honey on it. It was almost completely healed and didn't hurt at all. I did take the bandage off occasionally during those two days to let it dry out and I then would re-apply the gauze with more honey on it.
This is what it looks like 4 years later, of course there's some scaring because it was a pretty deep scrape, but it's almost the same color as my skin and barely noticeable.  I just found this blog post about many other great uses for honey, go take a look.

Come visit me on:

1 comment:

  1. Wow those are amazing results. Thanks for linking to my 21 Uses for Honey post.

    ReplyDelete